Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Breaking through the London fog

It's not like I don't know London. I traveled to this fair city many a times with Phaidon. And though I mostly kept to the northeast corner of the city limits I still became acquainted with the little Londonisms, which, of course, continued in the day-to-day correspondents with my British counterparts.

If there was one thing I could say I took away from this preparatory education it was finding out about a little gem called Bank Holidays. During the long stretches after the Martin Luther Kind Jr. holiday until New York blissfully brought on its bloom it seemed as though our London office was hopping out of the office for a bank holiday once a week. In fact, in my minds eye, I'd say these little vaguely named days off seemed to come just at the moments when I needed them most.

Needless to say the Bank Holidays were not far from my mind when I nestled into a new, albeit temporary, life in London. Yes I am working for a news organisation that does not sleep and, true, I should (and do, I promise) take advantage of every working opportunity, but even still the sweet lingering flavor of these untouchable British minibreaks kept breaking on the tip of my tongue.

Coincidentally I'm reading the book "Over Here" a personal account of all things London by the former Ambassador to the UK Raymond Seitz. ALright, so it's a little outdated (Princess Di's death is his pivotal storyline) but it still rings true.

One recent tube ride home I found myself reading a chapter on the difference in holidays between the US and the UK, namely the existence of (gasp) bank holidays. Little did I expect the chapter to end with the realization that these breaks are awkwardly packed together during the spring and summer so you're left with a long, gray fall. Ta da!

Autumn in the United Kingdom will remain long and dreary, uninterrupted and unrelieved. But I suppose this barren season is made bearable by the Christmas light at the end of the tunnel


Ah, London. You dark and curious stranger, you.

Luckily I've found ways to cut through the autumnal fog:

With funny little canal boat ride sightings in Regents Park


Punkdom of Camden


Choice seating for a nibble


tchotchke!


espresso art in Camden


public art in Brick Lane


fox sightings in West Hampstead


high tea with visiting friend!


and balcony street views


I don't need no stinkin' bank holidays.

xoxoL

No comments: