Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The job hunting antidote

Yesterday I had a missed called that I thought was a solicitor that turned into an actual voice mail that became an awkward call that morphed into a freak out that fell, trembling and slightly sweaty, into a phone interview.

Which may not have gone well.

So, what does an increasingly-desperate-and-down-trodden-journalist do in the face of such open-ended-better-luck-next-time goodbyes?

Watch Sophie's Choice. It's the perfect antidote to a bad day.

Does this sound familiar:

Think you royally messed up that phone interview?

Still haven't heard back about that pitch you e-mailed in months ago?

Widening your job search from journalism jobs into communication in general?

Still finding cobwebs instead of story ideas in that attic you call a brain?

Well then you need The Job Searchaway:

1. Insert one copy of Sophie's Choice.
2. Wait 120 minutes.
3. Go on with life.

Maybe I wasn't as prepared for that interview as I would have liked, at least my Dad isn't a bastard anti Semite.

Maybe that pitch wasn't perfect and I could just rework because, hey, I'm not about to be arrested for buying ham to save my tuberculous-stricken mother.

Communications is still journalism, right? Who CARES about such minute details, at least I'm not in love with a paranoid schizophrenic whose abusive tendencies are the only way I can quiet the HORRORs I lived through in Auschwitz!

And for God's SAKE, grow a pair, vaccuum out those cobwebs, and grind out some stories because at least the German's didn't force you to choose certain DEATH for one of your babies, ripping the girl from your clenched arms as her scream, bloody and curling, echoes across the train platform only to be consumed by the darkness of night.

See?

Dontcha feel better already?

Now, back to grinding that stone.

xoxoL

No comments: