Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ode to a Dad

Growing up, my Dad has been many things to me.



A tickle monster
A storyteller
A sailor
A captain
A coach
An athlete
A pusher
A know-it-all
A teacher
An adviser
A cheerleader
An intimidator
A snowboarder
A type-A personality
An audiophile
A Canuck with acute American political beliefs
A broker
A road biker
A planner
A fan
A support

He's not really a chatter, though he won't think twice to tell you what's on his mind. He's a straight-to-the-point kind of Dad who will tell you how it is and not cushion the blow. He's a dedicated, hard-working and loyal friend, colleague and team mate. He loves a good political joke (especially one that might rag on "my president") and will laugh out loud at clever commercials. He's a fair-weather sports fan but will always return when the seasons anew. He's a bit of a wimp when it comes to movies - no terror, suspense or gore - but that's OK, because so am I. He's a die-hard Leonard Cohen fan and thanks to him, I'll be one too. He's got calves that have taken him on 100-mile bike rides and maybe one day, together, a marathon. He's a fantastic speech writer and impressive consumer of news (so to keep his know-it-all status, of course). He's a grill master of the cooked-raw variety. Though his list of home-cooked menu items are few, his Christmas waffles are hands down the best I've ever tasted.

As much as he jokes that I must have been swapped at the hospital, I know I am my father's daughter and I have never been so proud to be.

Yes, my Dad has been many things but tomorrow, though he'd shake the label off, he is a superhero. And it's just one of the things I love him for.

xoL

1 comment:

LeslieD said...

Yes, Jay is a stand up Guy.Someone you would want in you corner when the going gets tough. He is fearless, except for scarey movies..
I applaud you Jay for giving of yourself -literally. You are no wimp. And two cheers for Eve. I wish you the best! Leslie