Sunday, January 11, 2009

Where winter lives

I get it, Chicago. You win, Chicago. You are winter.

It has NOT stopped snowing, pretty much since I returned. I'm a snow bunny at heart, but there's something about trudging through gunk like this:



that takes away the serenity of all this:





But in any event, it's impressive. Way to go. So thankful for my boots.

Conveniently, during the consta-blizzard, I am hitting the pavement searching for information on my shiny new reporting beat: housing and communities. Though this is the BEST time for politics in Chicago I have come to understand that political writing is just not my cup of green tea.
But housing is juicy, don't you fret. There's foreclosures and fraudulent mortgages and lies, lies, lies (according to one foreclosure prevention officer)!.

Tuesday is our first day of reporting. Blessedly, I do not have a story due until Wednesday so I'll be out and about - a morning meeting with the Housing Task Force, a court hearing on a delinquent hotel owner and, hopefully, a few phone interviews.

Oh, the good news of the second quarter stu, is that I'm a real live reporter! I think I mentioned this, but it's so exciting I'll do it again, we get press passes! And my own desk with a working phone and an in/out box. Oh the thrill.
Though the press passes were definitely made by some administrator's third grader, it does not take away the excitement of feeling like a professional.

Now, all this professional needs to do is come up with some story ideas (pronto) and figure out which (out)fits make her sweat less.
Dangerous world out there.

I'm also taking an interactive class - you may decide what that means on your own. So I am plunging deeper into the Web vortex than ever before. It's pretty delightful. In my 'research' I've come across and have been sent some pretty fantastic sites and hilariously clever articles. I'll continue to pass these guys along, if the mood should strike.

And by all means, feel free to do the same.

xoL

1 comment:

LeslieD said...

Ah housing, a subject close to my heart. Just think, food, clothing and shelter, the three most important things we need to survive. But hey, you can mix your political reporting with housing and find out that very few politicians care about housing. Just ask a shelter provider or a family paying too much for housing and can't get into affordable housing without a 3 year wait. Local officials are the worst. Our City Council won't approve a senior-affordable project without loping off the top 3rd story (4 units)facing some neighbors 100 feet and a ravine away, because 4 owners complained about their view of the sky changing. Enough to make a houser like me really pissed. Anyway if you want a basic housing primer Lauren, go to my City's web site, www.cityofsan-clemente.org and go to Services, then housing. Also the County of Orange has a good website. wwwochousing.org. You can learn all about basic housing policies and programs in the 2008 Housing Element Update and about Federal programs in the Consolidated Plan. Read some of this and you'll seem very knowledgeable and it won't be too painful.
Can't wait to visit you - after winter! Love Your Aunt Leslie, Sr. Housing Coordinator, City of SanClemente!