Monday, October 13, 2008

The random sunrise and college(!)

We had to cover an event this weekend. I chose, or fell into, a 5K race that was to raise awareness for women and children in the Congo. I spoke with the organizer who told me she'd be setting up around 6. That's 6 A.M. And yes, that was a Saturday. All sacred ground for a new stu like myself, but like an eager beaver I went. And in doing so, proved my rookie status.

The organizer (mom and two kids) arrived on the scene closer to seven. So, I wondered around the pre-dawn park and water front, like you do.

I did, however, catch the sun rise, which was pretty beautiful.





After a brief afternoon snooze and a red bull I was ready for a night on the town with, yes, brand new friends. It was a delight. Food, champ, chatting and a later-regrettable shot was involved. We hit up a bar in Wrigleyville, which on a Saturday night resembles Bourbon street during the weekday.

I had found college. It was fabulous.

As the hours crept closer to two I knew I had to send my nearly 30 self home lest I stay a college girl forever (read: start leaving valuable items in bathroom stalls or profess new and intense appreciations for things and people I know not of).

Back to work. Tomorrow we are covering a meeting of local neighborhood politics. After speaking with a 70-ish year old representative of the committee who took my question of "is there a meeting tomorrow" to mean "please give me a step-by-step brief on your and your five closest kin's recycling habits," I can tell it's going to be a thrilling night.

And one shout out to Jiggy: You, your antics and even your eye boogies will be missed. xoL

No comments: