Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday brings some firsts

Well, one, in particular. Today was my first day of work in the business that I have been elbowing my way into for a few years now. It is my first full time paid position (paid! slave wages, but it counts.) in this biz that is all spark and ingenuity one moment and dead as yesterday's used newspaper the next according to media friends and foes. That's right friends iiiiiiiiits journalism.

But it's also my first day of working in New York after being away from this city that I love. I was nervous, what with the commute, the fabulous ladies of fashion surrounding me at every turn and, well, the commute (listen, it can be pretty bad).

But that latent New York kick-it-and-go attitude sprung up in my like geyser once those subway doors opened and the rest of Greenpoint and I were trying to squeeze in. I strolled into the center of the train and never looked back.

Somehow my blood boiled enough to get me from one subway to another and back again at the end of the day, spits of rain and a sleepless night and all.

Now that I'm slightly more eased into working life and my outfit is already picked out for tomorrow, I'm hoping I can catch some Zzzzs so I can get up for a much-needed run in the morning. Because, oh yes, I'm still training for that marathon. I have four weeks to go from 7 miles to 26.2 so it's now or never.

I can only do things like, get a job, find an apartment, train for some sort of feat-o-strength all at once. Dog pile on L. It's all or nothing people, but it's nice to be doing something even when it's everything.

xoL

No comments: