Monday, January 11, 2010

Back on the (reality TV) saddle

I was temporarily on the wagon - the wagon of no reality TV watching - as I was in London sans American broadcasting. Sure the Brits have their own and maybe I caught a glimpse of the X Factor season finale chaos. But that was it. I swear.

Bus since being back in the states I have fallen right off that wagon onto the time suck that is crap reality TV.

Ohhh but it's not crap. It's crack. And there are new shows and old shows that I'm watching as if anew! It's glorious and concentrated on my Sunday nights.

There's Giuliana and Bill at 9 on Style
She's the alien-skinny self-deprecating E! news host.
He's the first (or early at least) Trump Apprentice hire.

Together they are a lovely mix of totally boring, kind of adorable, and definitely ridiculous. Maybe I laughed a few times. It doesn't hurt.

Added plus: Giuliana's little nieces who, under the wing of Uncle Bill, are starting their own woven bracelet business. Older niece had a serious case of ADD during their first night or weaving and decided to blow up balloon-animal balloons instead. After inflating a blue and red one she proceeded to march around the room shouting 'my wieners...my color wieners...'. Oh man, it was classic.

Speaking of E! we have Keeping up with the Kardashians on at 10. There was a time when I just couldn't abide by this vapid family of bodacious barbie dolls. But there's something in me that is just, suddenly, attracted to the whole family. They may each love themselves the most but they all seem to really enjoy the family as a whole. It's kind of endearing.

And Rob, the only boy in this female brood, was, dare I say, identifiable. He just graduated (ah hem, from undergrad) and I just graduated. He was moved back home. I moved back home. He doesn't know what he wants to do with his life. I'm still trying to figure that out.
But then Rob dropped me and went out and got a job. Just like that. Five minutes in TV land magic, I'd guess a week in reality. What the HELL Rob.

But I'll still watch the show.

Then of course there's the Jersey Shore on MTV. I don't think this is on Sunday nights but to be fair it's played in reruns ALL THE TIME on MTV so I can't actually tell which night it airs. I tried to stay away from this fake tanned train wreck but I, like the rest of the country, have been drawn in.

In fact the other night when 'Ronnie' and Sam were walking home from Karma and were nagged into a fight I was fully screaming at the TV. Who the hell WAS that guy who was trying to fight Ronnie? Ronnie didn't want to fight and I really hope that Sam reviews that footage and sees that she really did contribute to the inevitable fist-throwing. I don't understand what it is about this area in Jersey - is it the TV cameras or actually the nature of Jersey - that people just want to fight. It's the one thing you can count on in the show. That and that nothing else happens (except of course, GTL - gym, tanning, laundry). It's terrible, it's boring, it's predictable, but sometimes it's really really good in a really bad sort of way. And for that, I'll stick around.

Don't ask. Just trust in the TV.

Now, getting back to getting a job.

xoL

No comments: