Monday, January 4, 2010

It's GO time

OK people. Enough playing around. Today is the official start of Project Lauren Gets a Job.

It's been too long since I held a pay check in my anti-bacterial lotioned hand and I am in need. It's not just about the money. It's about putting this (gasp) career-changing (pricey) education to use before it gets dusty.

So, here goes.

But first I need a planner. Yes, a paper planner. While strolling through the Harvard Book Co-op I find the ideal weekly planner by Moleskin that is (ta da) on sale. Perfect. The weekly planner will help organize my soon-to-be very busy days and the 'Pooped Puppies' monthly calendar, well, that's in place of the 'Hang in there' kitten poster for the not-so-busy days.

OK. Now I'm really ready.

Though first I should check in on some industry news.

Romenesko (oh weird, Google really does the twitter searches as well. Do I follow Romenesko? I must).

Media Bistro - check

maybe a little Writer's Digest

oh and I should obviously be up on my daily news. Yes, that will help to spark the newsroom journalist in me.

Let's see I'll start with the NY Times

and I've got to get some global with the BBC

Sure, the Wash Post

why not, LA Times (what's that about the Biggest Loser?)

of course Chicago Tribune

and while I'm at it let's see what's happening on NY mag (ooo is Sandra Bullock really an Oscar contender?)

um...Jezebel (what will the 2010 fashion be? Oooo NYTimes takes on the Jersey Shore, how did I miss that...)

Oh but Gawker has a much better reaction to NYTime's critique of Jersey Shore (Sorry, but trying to find any good in this show is missing the point entirely) and is that Michael Cera eating a pizza?

I'm hungry

I should probably find a recipe to make tonight.

Food network (mmm lasagna. Oh lighter meatballs - bookmark)

wonder what Martha's up to - My god that salmon looks fantastic. Is that a spicy cauliflower? Swoon. Oooo or salmon with orange and fennel. I have, at least, the orange.

Ugh that all seems like way too much work and way too much spent at whole foods. What's this about cupcakes. Fancy cupcakes...

No, I need writing inspiration not caloric intake. Luckily Martha has both. Though her desk set ups are a little over the top also I don't have a quaint little nook to squeeze a desk into.

Oh but that design sponge girl...now that's inspiration. Pricey design inspiration.

If I lived like these people I'd probably have my dream writerly job. That kitchen! That spice rack! At least we have the same pepper grinder. So close. Is that a claw foot tube?

No THIS is the office space I need. Vintage quirk. True writerly inspiration.

So first, get claw foot tub, rustic blue table, (also own apartment) and dream job will follow.

First day at job hunt: clear success.

No comments: