Sunday, January 24, 2010

The round up

This week we're on clever overload. Why is EVERYONE trying to blow my mind?

to procrastinate:

Buried deep within the real estate section of the NYTimes (a girl can dream) is this magical place of want and voyeurism: Great Homes and Destinations.

They have a regular feature called "Properties for $____,____". For anyone who has lived in NY this page will be a true depressing delight. $350,000 can get me a two bedroom / two bath, exposed brick apartment loft in Memphis. That includes walk in closets, this swoon-able kitchen



...and, oh yes, shared access to a roof top pool. But then again it's Memphis. But it was good enough for Elvis. And I DID have the second-best BBQ there...

I also got all gooey-eyed for this London house boat that is anchored at the East end of the Thames. This is a problem. Because it's nifty spaces like this



that make me think, completely unsupported by any engineering or design skills, that I too can not only have but make this. Of COURSE I always wanted to live on a boat. That won't get old. Right?

{sigh}

to continue. Further procrastination can happen here - a clever little site that mocks the fashion blog, The Sartorialist, with cats. Purrfection (I know...I'm sorry)

"On the Street...Vintage Tag, Chelsea, NYC"


And finally sleeveface.com for its clever mashup of album covers and people. Genius.

Thanks to Bryan Jones for this - check out his AWESOME paintings.


to eat: alright so I spent the majority of my week hanging with Lola in CT so there wasn't a lot of experimental cooking going on. But last week I tried out this recipe for parmesan polenta heaven (via The Kitchn) and it totes worked out. Voila:



Also, hello soft-fluffy-goodness of a new way to cook an egg. I haven't gone back.

Oh and I long to make this



even though the chances of me whipping up some concord grape ice cream are slim to none. Never doubt the possibility of getting into the slim...

to check out
: This week I'm all about the online vids. So here it is:

It turns out one of my former living-on-the-couch roommates Dmitri Simakis was only pretending to be lazy and was meanwhile busy being ironically clever collecting abandoned VHS tapes in an experiment he and his friends labeled 'Everything is Terrible.' It's home to ridiculous 80s nostalgia, bad acting, worse hair and, well, you can see for yourself. Most of them are really hard to watch - I'm embarrassed for everyone involved but it's worth a look. And the Everything is Terrible branded ending to each video is class. You can read more at NPR.

mini highlights:

- I only wish I had this in high school

- I don't know about you but I definitely want to run this kid over with my big wheel.

Alec Soth is an artist, photographer and, now, blogger (Little Brown Mushroom blog). His photographs were featured in Vitamin Ph (Phaidon Press, 2006) and are fantastic documentaries of people just living life - with some nudity thrown in.

Check out his Las Vegas birthday trip slideshow. And for your literary adventures check out the book his 11-year-old self made.

Oh and this video by SVA graduate Katie Armstrong is amazing - animated paper cut outs to the eerie self-sung song Blue by Eiffel 65. When you look at her web site you can see all that went into the 3m piece. I want it to be mine. (via for me, for you - also a treat!)

Video hilarity - clever boy featuring Rachel Dracht in Forest Hills State of Mind.

And finally this woman beat me to something I didn't even know I wanted to do - infographics to ever single This American Life. SO CLEVER. I'm going to do one. I swear.

Finally a little bit to cuddle:

muffin koala



and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT. I dunno but I want it to cuddle into a furry mess for evermore.



both via zooborns
xoxoL

No comments: