Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back again, for now

We have visited many cities, but there is no doubt that New York is THE.

I had to leave R on the Arlington street corner to travel the last leg of our cross country trip on the Vamoose bus (not a bad ride) alone. I know that we'll have to do this many more times as we will each call a different city our home, but the first time is (hopefully) the hardest. Ce la vie.

After four stiff hours (though I finally did crack a book open) I won't deny the slight flip my stomach made when I saw the empire state building from the New Jersey interstate, or the perspiration that fretted by brow the moment I dragged myself and my too many belongings down the steps to the subway. Ah, the NYC subway. How I missed you and immediately hated you - I feel instantly at home.

The subway was sardine-crowded at 4 o'clock and I threw a few elbows and nestled myself into the center of the car for the ride downtown. The subway entered some old fat man's sweaty armpit around Broadway-Nassau and the smell lingered so long that we passengers continued to eye one another suspiciously and then ourselves worriedly until it up and left three stops later.

I strode down the Brooklyn blocks happy to see that not too much had changed in my three week absence (you never know). I put the key into the lock at 116, followed the same though newly painted white (wonderfully welcoming) steps up and into someone else's apt. Yes, it's tricky. I was going to be house sitting for my landladies and their arc of animals but their plans have changed and they graciously offered me a (familiar) place to stay, still, if I cared too. And I did. So, while the new us is away on business I am staying in his/my old apartment. My goodness it is strange, though the new us has terribly good taste in decor (modern-y vintage).

{sigh}

Without a true purpose in NYC I dare say that my presence will be scarce. I will run my errands, say my hellos and goodbyes and get back out to CT to prepare for the next voyage.

But first, a stroll around the neighborhood, some food and a drink with a few friends.

~L

No comments: