Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Float on...

This nomadic life continues. We were in and out of Portland in a day, but let me say that it was a fantastic 24 hours. Portland was totally new to R & I and it was incredibly appealing. Not only was the city accessible in size and the type of people it draws, but also in the essence of the city - built not on corporations but on independently-owned businesses.

As I mentioned before, we saw the city by bike - up and down and across the river and back. Throughout that journey we were took witness to hundreds of small boutique shops, stalls and restaurants in every quadrant of the city. We caught with friends from Kenyon, who are not only doing very cool things but the majority of them have started their own ventures. There's Abby who just started her own business in Portland called Your Natural Chef. Then there's Pat who is creating fabulous t shirts sold online and Tim started a dinner and alcohol-pairing series, which has really taken off.

It's all very impressive and inspirational, even. Suddenly, while strolling into a super quaint and adorable antique store I see myself creating a new line of hand-sewn bandannas, or photographing street signs for some sort of hilarious series of pins, no, stamps. I'm doing a lot so long as I stay in Portland.

But we don't, so I'm not. We've got places to go and more people to mooch off of, so my new endeavors will have to wait (though I'll let you know when those crocheted bandannas hit the market, no need to hold your breath).

But onwards an upwards. R & I drove an incredibly quick four hours down to the crazy cute town of Shady Creek, OR. We arrived just in time to catch a trip up to the head of the river so that we may 'funyak' down to the bottom. Three hours of lazy, sun-drenched bliss. It was delightful. Only delayed slightly because everyone in this town is incredibly, incredibly high, but when you have no agenda, that affliction is suddenly, surprisingly endearing.

After our epic river float we met up with R's friend Jason who works for the Forest Services here in Oregon - yes he's like fighting forest fires. We bbq-d by the river and watched the meteor shower. It's a pretty ridiculous visit. I cannot believe where we are right now and I have to type fast and get back out to watch the rest of the star-works.

Tomorrow we're off to the Redwoods for some camping. The fact that we left the tent poles back in the Badlands is really only a hiccup - I'm sure my time in Portland had a subconscious-talent-enducting effect and within the three hour drive down I will have fashioned new tent poles out of masking tape and a string bikini.

Stay tuned...

~ L & R

No comments: