Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A tree falls in Chicago

Last night was, according to one man on NPR, the worst storm in Chicago history. There were tornado sirens, thunder that could crack a house in half, and lightening that kept the sky lit for hours. It was IN. SANE.

I thought I'd seen my fair share of storms and that perhaps our Chicago friends were over-reacting to a 'little rain storm' by getting out of their third-floor apartment to bunker down with a friend in his first floor shelter.

Well, I take it back. It was bad and terrifying.

Flights at O'Hare were canceled and customers were sent to the basement to wait out the storm, the cubs game was called off in the 8th and fans were ushered into the concourse for safety, roofs were blown off buildings, and fallen trees blocked entire streets (as below).


And where were R & L? As lights flickered ominously, and sheets of rain threatened the strength of the double pain glass, L & R were in an empty office on Belmont with Brendan, their real estate broker/new emergency contact, trying get a lease signed.

That's right folks - it's official - I'm a Chicagoan. After a spirit-breaking start with Apartment People (don't use them...ever) that, emotionally, rivaled the storm that surrounded us later, we found an awesome and HUGE apartment in East Lakeview. It's fabulous and I cannot be happier. That's my - yes - little Juliet balcony on the third floor and where I'll hang my hat.


I now live on Surf Street and everyone can start sending mail, presents, sing-o-grams now.

Come visit!

1 comment:

LeslieD said...

L&R,
Your blog about the thunderstorm reminded me of Michael and my trip across country in 1976 in his VW Microbus. We got stuck in a horrendous thunderstorm in Illinois. I thought we'd be struck for sure in this backwater park we overnighted in. The next night we ran into a Tornado in Omaha. We tried to drive all night to get out of the state, but the rain was so bad, our wipers gave out and we ended up on the side of the road waiting it out. Needless to say we got out of the Mid-west ASAP. I'm glad you were inside and you found a charming apt.! Can't wait to visit. Enjoying your blogs.
Leslie D