Sunday, September 14, 2008

The babysitting gig

Yesterday we wrapped up our Ladies Road Trip, officiating my residence with a true Chicago Hot Dog (the works).



Due to the wretched weather our touring motivation was limited to a stop by the Chicago Cultural Center to see the Tiffany dome (impressively pricey), an art exhibit by life-time prison inmates (kill me depressing) and a collection of Marilyn Monroe creations (eh). The rain sent us running for the car and the Ladies, sans myself, back on the road.

So I remain.

I have to admit that this is my first time living alone. Considering the new surroundings - walls, neighborhood, city - it is strange. My furniture, what little I have, is set up, the counters, floors are spic-and-span, the closets filled and so, by all appearances, someone does in fact live here.

It's kinda like I'm babysitting. The kids are asleep and I am merely passing time until the parents come home: I pick at the leftovers in the fridge, open and reopen the cabinets hoping for better food to appear. I play on their computer, click on the TV, and tidy any spot that I sit in so they won't be able to detect my one-time presence after I'm gone.

It continues to rain outside so my inclination is to laze but that doesn't feel right. There's more organizing to be done. School books to purchase. Electricity and gas bills to get on and a few last minute items to accumulate. Not to mention the major exploring I need to do. So, what's next?

I'll just have to see how I feel once the parents return.

No comments: