Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sanity arrives by post

I won't sugar-coat it. I was burned. Scorned. By that which was only to bring me pleasure and somewhat mindless entertainment: The Internet. I spent the entirety of this beautiful morning on the phone with the Internet modem people working out a problem that was, inevitably, caused by them.

They drove me insane and deflated my "Yay I'm independent Spirit."

Tides have since turned. Why? I opened my mail box and found my US Weekly! Thank you to the Gods of the US Postal Serviced. I also found an issue of 'Hunting Tutorials,' but that's another story.

I feel like a new woman. A woman who can peacefully recount the activities of the last few days.

In short, I went exploring.

Yesterday was an Ode to Lincoln Park. It's expansive and filled with all sorts of surprises.

Like the meeting room of the Elks National Veteran Memorial (it was free, who was I to pass it up).


There's lily ponds and picturesque lakes a plenty.


Also, a Zoo (the oldest in the world, or country, I can't remember which) where I took in some animal sightseeing - a rino!


I ended my epic walk-about with some yummy tomatoes from the farmer's market at the south end of the park.
De. Lish.

Today - after horrid morning that I will refrain from addressing - I took the el downtown to check out Magnificent Mile, the Art Institute of Chicago (perused the gift shop, really)


Millenium Park
Here I am in front of the Cloud Gate Sculpture, looking pretty pumped.


and the Crate & Barrel (admittedly not a Chicago land marker, but it was enroute).

I even found my way home via bus! All in one piece.

Tomorrow is Friday and marks the close of my Retirement Week. Though I'm never one to shy away from free time, I am greatly looking forward to having a purpose here in Chicago (besides that of wayward travel guide).

Don't fret, because the exploring will continue...

No comments: